Girls with a makeup obsession advise you on your next beauty purchase

Friday, July 11, 2008

Old Favorites

No matter how much makeup I collect, I always seem to go back to my old favorites. Waaaaaay back in 2001 I bought Laura Mercier pan liner in bleu marine, cream color in shell, and shimmer shadow in rose. 7 years later, I still wear that same color combination at least once a week. It is perfect - I can apply it in minutes, it looks sleek and elegant, and the colors are incredibly flattering. I hit a bump in the road earlier this year when I discovered that Laura Mercier had stopped manufacturing shell cream color. I had to resort to eBay, where I was able to find a new-in-box tube. So I am safe for a little while, at least. But I don't even want to think about the day when my eBay tube runs out.

It's not just that these colors look great - although that is definitely a big part of it. I have a tendency to develop sentimental attachments to makeup. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but certain makeup reminds me of specific days, specific places, specific people. I bought these colors when I was living in New York, making next to nothing, and living in a fourth-floor walk up. Wearing them reminds me of how much fun I had living in the city, and what it was like to be 22 with nothing to do during my lunch break except walk up to Henri Bendel's and buy makeup!

No comments: